The game of Blackjack has been around for hundreds of years, but it wasn’t until the middle of the 20th century that it really took off. This is when the game made its way across the Atlantic and became commonplace in Las Vegas casinos. The online casino boom was also a massive boon for the game. These days, Blackjack attracts more players and higher numbers than ever.
Understanding the Blackjack Table
One of the reasons that Blackjack has endured for so many generations is that the Blackjack table is incredibly easy to wrap your head around. It usually seats up to 7 people (also true for Live Blackjack), with the players on one side and the dealer on the other.
The middle of the table displays information relating to the game’s payouts and the dealer’s stance. For example, an online Blackjack table may state the following:
- Blackjack Pays 3 to 2 (the payout received for a Blackjack, which occurs when the players get an Ace and a Ten card with their first two cards)
- Dealer Stands on 17 (the number that the dealer will draw to before standing)
- Insurance Pays 2 to 1 (the payout for a successful insurance bet, which is taken when the dealer’s face card is an Ace)
Casino Blackjack Rules
It’s often said that the goal of Blackjack is to get to 21, but that’s not quite the truth. After all, you can win with 18 if the dealer gets 17, and you can win with 10 if the dealer goes bust.
The real goal of Blackjack is to beat the dealer, and there are several ways to do that:
- Get a Blackjack with your first two cards
- Score more than the dealer
- Stay in the game while the dealer goes bust
You will be dealt two cards at the start of the game and the dealer will give themselves two, as well. If these two cards form 21, you win. If not, you can choose from the following options:
- Hit: Another card will be dealt.
- Stand: Your hand will be settled based on the current score.
- Double: Your bet will be doubled and you will get one more card.
- Split: If you are given two cards of the same value, you can “split” them into two hands.
The Blackjack scoring system is very easy to learn. All cards from 2 to 9 are scored based on their face value (3 scores 3; 4 scores 4, etc.), Ace can be used to score 1 or 11, and the other cards score 10.
21 is the maximum valid score. Anything more and you will “bust”, at which point the hand is declared as a loss before the dealer even takes their turn.
Some games also offer side bets, whereby you place bets that are separate from the main game. These bets can be successful even if you lose the main game, and it’s also possible to win the main game and lose the side bets.
Finding the Best Blackjack Sites
Most online casinos have games of Blackjack, but only the very best offer dozens of different variants of both virtual and Live Blackjack. At QueenVegas, we have all popular Blackjack variants covered. Whether you are a beginner or an expert, you will find a game to suit your tastes.
Play Online Blackjack in the UK
If you’re ready to play some high-quality games of Blackjack in the UK, including virtual Blackjack, Live Blackjack, and mobile Blackjack, then sign up for an account with QueenVegas today. We have everything that a Blackjack player could ask for, and our selection is getting bigger and better all of the time!